Tuesday, March 31, 2009

So Far From the Bamboo Grove


The best way to learn about history is to read books like "So Far From the Bamboo Grove" and actually read about real stories of the time and how people worked through them. A lot of times textbooks don't inform readers of all the emotions and heartfelt stories that are involved in war. In history classes we usually learn about the different countries or people fighting in the war and what it was over. By reading about Yoko's personal story, readers can make more of a personal connection to the text and in my opinion take away even more from that period of time.

I really liked how the story followed both Yoko's and her older brother Hideyo's story. Since there are two main perspectives in this book, I think it is a great one to read in class. It caters to both girls and boys when relating to the text. Readers really get a feel for all the awful events that were going on to these innocent young adults. I really was emotional when reading about what happened throughout this time period in Yoko's life. I kept thinking to myself, this girl is only eleven years old. How can she be so strong and deal with everything that is thrown at her. I think about my life and what I have experienced that has made me who I am and then I look at Yoko's past experiences and I almost feel guilty. I think a huge part of who Yoko is, is her mother. Even though they were going through this horrible time, Yoko and her sister were still kept in school, it wasn't even an option for them to slack off for a minute. This is another thing that readers can take away, no matter how unmotivated you feel, think of Yoko and all she was doing to survive. She was able to build and maintain relationships throughout the war period, although she lost both her parents, in the end she did find her brother and the Corporal.
I really found myself relating to Yoko and her mother's relationship. I always hated to leave my mom especially going to school in the early elementary years, so in the one scene at the new school in Japan I could relate to how she was feeling and the loneliness that took over her body. Also, when the mom passes away was extremely hard for me to read and get through. I can't even imagine being in Yoko's position and going through what she did.
Like I mentioned, I think that young readers would really benefit from this book in a classroom setting. If I were to teach an older class I would defiantly have this as one of our group readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment