Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Sweetest Fig

I researched Chris Van Allsburg as my author for my author study project. I have really become to love the picture book that he has written and illustrated. He mixes fantasy and reality in such a fantastic way that pulls in readers left and right. 
This particular book is about an old dentist was given a fig that would “make his dreams come true” from a patient who couldn’t afford to give him money for pulling out her tooth. That same night before he went to bed the dentist ate the fig the woman had given him, it was the most delicious thing ever. The next morning was very strange; the things that he dreamed came alive and were actually happening. He tried to dream of being rich, he practiced dreaming of becoming rich and one night before bed he decided he would eat the second fig. However, before he ate it his dog got to it first. The next morning the dentist woke up on the floor and all he could do was bark.
I would definitely have this book in my classroom library, although it is a little wordy, I think that my students would find it humorous and interesting. Especially with children, fantasy is such an important part of their life and this book would just add on to their creative thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment