Thursday, May 7, 2009

Black Star, Bright Dawn


This novel by Scott O'Dell was a very touching story that kept me wanting more to read. This story is about a teenager Eskimo girl named Bright Dawn. Her dad asked her to take his place in the big Iditarod and work as a team with Black star, part husky but mostly wolf. They had the confidence needed to make it to the finish line but no one would have expected the harsh Alaskan weather to turn on them and bring danger knocking at their door. This is a thrilling story that will have readers on the edge of their seats. It also gives a lot of insight to the actual Iditarod and the terrain of Alaska.
I think that this would be a perfect example of a read aloud book when studying the Iditarod. This would be a great addition to the text set because it can generate a lot of discussion form students. Being around the same age, I think this book would also be a good choice because a lot of the students in my class will be able to relate to Bright Dawn and her endeavors. Also, a lot of them maybe also able to relate to the strong bond between owner and dog.
I have read other Scott O'Dell books and really admire him as an author and can definitely see myself reading his books in my future classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment