Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stop, Drop and Roll

This is a very good book to have on hand when students are learning about fire safety and what to do to be fully prepared when dealing in case you encounter a fire. I really liked this book because I could personally relate to Jessica the main character. I was always a real anxious kid and was worried about practically everything. When I went to my family about certain things they would most of the time ignore me or tell me not to worry, just like Jessica's family did to her. 

This book covers a lot of great information that kids could take away and really use and save their lives in a situation with a fire. Also, it makes them think about their own houses and whether or not their house is the safest it can be from fires. 

The illustrations in this book are perfect for this type of book. They are sketches and since the book is more about the "what if" and "be prepared" for a fire, there aren't scary pictures of fires that will make children nervous. I think this is a good idea because a lot of time children might see scary pictures and avoid the whole subject, which they shouldn't at all. 

I think this book is perfect for a classroom library. Students will be able to relate to Jessica and her feelings of anxiousness. Students should know that they shouldn't feel bad if they don't have a fire plan, but they should make one and start thinking about what to do in emergencies. Preparation is key. 

No comments:

Post a Comment