Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Year of Impossible Goodbyes

I am really glad that I had an opportunity to read this book. I had never done this in my elementary years, but I think that it was really a eye opening experience to read two books on the same topic but different sides. I could definitely see these books being the topics of a huge debate or discussion in class. Reading them together also proves to readers that there are two sides of every story. Unlike So Far From the Bamboo Grove, the characters in this book were Korean and are the other prospective of the war. From reading these books I have learned so much about the different cultures and their ways of life. 

The first couple of chapters were a struggle for me to get through. I didn't know how I was going to be able to read the whole thing. However, as I kept reading, I became more and more attached to Nuna and her family. I wanted them to survive the war so badly. After reading it, it reminded me of how similar the two sides who are fighting against each other actually are. They are both children being strong and growing up so fast to provide for their family and survive the war, while also keeping up with the many traditions of their countries. The whole scene at the school when the little kids were making the weapons really made me angry. The children are so innocent, and yet here they are making devices to kill the enemy. 

Both of these books make readers appreciate what they have and the world we live in today. I have especially been touched by these books and I know that I'm probably not the only one. In today's society, with our country actually at war, I think it is even more important for younger grades to pick this difficult subject of war up and openly talk about it and get their feelings out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment