Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Box of Friends


I have personally never moved in my life, but can't imagine all the emotions that would come with it. In the story, A Box of Friends, by Pam Munoz Ryan, Annie the main character, finds herself in a new town, alone and not feeling like she belongs. Her grandmother is the one who introduces her to her own box of friends and helps Annie make her own. Throughout the story, Annie collects things that remind her of people in her life that are important to her. That way, no matter how far away her actual friends may be, she always has a piece of them with her in her box. At the end of the story, Annie is invited to a girl's birthday party who lives down the street. She realizes that it might not be so bad moving. 

I think this would be a great book to read to a class because although it is fiction, it is very realistic. Many students may have already moved or be in the process of moving and could really relate to the way Annie feels through out the story. After the book has been read to the class, it could be a great activity for everyone to make their own box of friends or "happy" box. This is something that can stay with them and have meaning to them even after the year is over and the class is done. I remember I made a "happy" box in junior high that I still have and visit when I am feeling sad or want to be in a better mood. I think doing activities like that while reading a book like A box of Friends can be a lot more beneficial for students in the long run. 

I can see myself reading this book to my class especially if I know that one or more of my student have been through what Annie is going through in the story. It would be a great opportunity for them to share their personal experience as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment