Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heather Has Two Mommies


As we are reading the Misfits in class, I find it very interesting to find other picture books who have sparked debatable topics through out school districts. I found this book, Heather Has Two Mommies defiantly under this category. It is written toward a younger audience, but the text I think is very graphic and too inappropriate for the intended 5 and up reader. It starts off with a little girl explaining how she is just like everyone else, she has all the same body parts, has animals, but in Heather's case she has two moms.


I think this is an interesting topic, that needs to be addressed, but I'm not sure that this is the perfect book to do that. Part of the reason why I think it isn't a great book is because the illustrations are in all black and white and the pictures aren't really appropriate. There is one in particular of Jane, one of the moms, who is naked getting looked at by a doctor before the "sperm gets put into her vagina".


Although, I don't think that this is a good book to help teach this topic, I do believe it should be discussed. I feel like it is almost guaranteed that teachers will at least have a couple students who have two moms or two dads in their classrooms. It is important to do an activity that shows all the different kinds of families and that it is okay to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment