Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Island of the Blue Dolphins


I can remember reading Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was an adolescent and now as I revisit it when I am a lot older I really have a much stronger view on this book and understand it a lot more. First of all, this is a true story, which I didn't know I was younger. This story deals with tragedy, fear, forgiveness, survival and trust. All of these themes are important for growing adolescents to have a strong grasp on and fully understand. Karana, the main character is about the same age as the target audience for this book, so a lot of readers can relate to how she feels and the sacrifices she makes for her family and friends. The strength that this young girl has throughout the many chapters of the book is a good example for readers to follow. It has a great message of hope and even in the worst of times, there will always be "dolphins" as a symbol of positive change. 

Being a chapter book it is an accomplishment for readers to finish and discuss the overall meaning of this book. I think it has the power to reach out and connect to many readers because there are so many different general themes that are exploited during the book. The font is larger and the text isn't too complicated which makes it even more approachable for younger readers. 

After reading this story, they could maybe do a report or research of some sort on the actual true story behind Scott O'Dell's story. I think it would be interesting for a reader to compare and contrast the two and share what they found. That is why this would be a great chapter book to assign when teachers want to have students explore, research and do more then just read the book.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book when I was in fourth grade. I distinctly remember reading this book. I agree that this book touches on the topics that adolescents need to come to understand.

    ReplyDelete