Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Kissing Hand











I would be lying if I told you that I had no issue whatsoever going to kindergarten and leaving my mom. As a matter of fact, I had an issue leaving my mom to go to school pretty much until last year. It is a big transition in a child's life from being home all day to going to school. To help calm my nerves, my mom would read me The Kissing Hand, by Audrey Penn. This book is about a little raccoon who is leaving his mom to go to school but has second thoughts and doesn't want to go. His mom shares a secret with him and kisses his palm and tells him that if he is sad during the school day, he can just put his palm to his cheek and it will be like she is there with him. I have personally always loved this book, the illustrations are wonderful and add great things to this story. I also believe that this story doesn't only benefit the child when going to school, but also the parent. 

When I was looking around the web for a project in one of my other classes, I noticed that there were so many different art projects that go along with this book as well as songs. This would be a great unit to cover in the beginning of the year when that transition is fresh and new. I could see myself using this book towards the beginning of the year, in my future classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment