Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Papa and Me









The illustrations in this book are GREAT!!!!! The bright color, motion and expression of characters leave readers intrigued and wanting more of Rudy Gutierrez's illustrations. There is so much detail that can be missed the first time readers read through, I found myself going back and examining all the pictures about three times before I put the book down. 

The actual text of the book did not capture my attention as much as the illustrations did. Although it is a great book about diversity because Spanish is written in to the story, there is no real story line, just about a boy and his dad going to see his grandparents. I think this would be good in a bilingual classroom, where half the time students speak English and the other half they speak Spanish. It might also be a good book to open in a Spanish class no matter what the age level. I think it is interesting when high level classes open the year or semester with children's books about the subject that will be taught. It makes it more friendly and open to students who are taking the course. Or this book might be a good one to read during a unit on family, or diversity, like I mentioned earlier. However, I feel like there are better story lines out there to cover topics such as those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment