Monday, February 9, 2009

Junie B. First Grader (at last)


Barbara Park writes yet another great chapter book that all first graders should read. For young readers finishing their first chapter book can be quite thrilling. I remember I used to read the Junie B. Jones series when I was younger and felt very accomplished when I finished one. They have legit chapters, but yet they're written in simple words, the font is larger and there are also pictures to go along with what the text is saying. Going into the first grade is a big transition in every child's life and I think Park does a good job capturing the position of an actual first grader and over coming all the issues and peer pressure that comes along with the role. She also covers realistic topics such as getting glasses and being embarrassed to wear them in front of friends. Also, the whole new teacher thing can be stressful on a 6 year old and having readers know that they aren't alone when they feel that way can be a very positive thing for them. 

I also believe this is a great book because it emphasizes the importance of writing in notebooks. I think that using literacy and writing skills is one of the most important things in a child's early education. I will have this book along with some of the other chapter books in this series in my classroom library in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment