Thursday, February 5, 2009

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie


I love all the "If You Give Books" by Laura Joffe Numeroff. They really let children's imaginations run wild. When I was student teaching, I read this book to the class for a couple reasons. The first being I like how it comes full circle. It starts with a little boy who gives a mouse a cookie and ends with a the mouse wanting another cookie. The illustrations by Felicia Bond are extraordinary.  My favorite picture is of the mouse when he is coloring and the size of the crayon he is using compared to him is just so funny! Bond uses a lot of different techniques to show motion with the characters and also color to keep children interested in the pictures. I think the illustrations are so detailed that if there was no text on the pages, the story through illustrations would be very similar. The last reason why I like this book is because you can make an excellent writing activity to go with it. Since this story is themed around the "what if you gave a mouse a cookie" idea, you can have students think of their own "what ifs" and have them expand like Numeroff did. 

Although this book doesn't have as much education value as some other books, it can be a great tool to get your students imagination cranking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment